Many patients think they know everything they need to about going to the dentist. But it’s a common misconception that dental treatments have stayed the same for decades. You may...
Deciding to straighten your teeth with Invisalign is a big decision, and there is a lot of information about your path to a straighter smile that you will need to know along the way. Ensure you get the most out of your consultation with the Invisalign provider by asking the right questions at your appointment. Asking these ten questions will enable you to leave each provider’s office knowing exactly what to expect during treatment and if Invisalign is the right solution for straightening your teeth.
How To Compare Invisalign Treatment Providers
Are you about to begin your journey with Invisalign, or perhaps you’re looking for as much information as possible to make an informed decision on if Invisalign is right for you? Asking these questions at each consultation appointment will help you to compare providers and make the big decision of which treatment plan is the right option for you:
- Will you be using Invisalign brand clear aligners or another aligner brand?
- Will you be using a digital scan or physical impression to get the initial impression of my teeth?
- How long will my treatment plan last?
- How much will my Invisalign clear aligners cost out of pocket?
- Will my insurance cover any portion of the treatment?
- What are my payment options for out-of-pocket costs?
- Do you offer monthly payment plans?
- What happens if I lose or break an aligner?
- How many hours a day will I need to wear my aligners?
- How do I take care of my aligners?
Official Invisalign Treatment Guidelines
Invisalign is the easiest way to achieve a straighter smile subtly. Before you place your first set of aligners, knowing what to expect will empower you to approach your treatment plan with complete confidence.
The official Invisalign guidelines are:
- Patients must wear aligners for at least 22 hours every day.
- Aligners must be removed when eating or drinking to prevent damage or discoloration.
- Teeth should be brushed before re-placing aligners to prevent tooth decay.
- Aligners should be cleaned often to keep them transparent.
- Aligners must be changed every two weeks to keep on the treatment plan on schedule.
- In-person visits with your chosen provider should be scheduled every 4-6 weeks. Do not skip or delay appointments.
- A retention plan for post-treatment success is a critical piece in keeping your newly straightened smile in alignment.
Invisalign Responsibilities That Fall To You
To have Invisalign work the way it’s designed, you will need to do certain things at home to ensure your treatment goes as planned and stays on schedule.
Not Skipping Progress Check-in Appointments
Invisalign treatments require you to visit your provider every 4-6 weeks. During these exams, your provider will track your progress and ensure that your teeth move along as scheduled and planned. Missing an appointment can result in a delayed treatment plan. In some cases, this means that patients end up wearing their Invisalign longer than initially outlined in their initial treatment plan.
Wearing Your Aligners
Invisalign aligners only work when correctly placed over the teeth for at least 22 hours a day. While that may not seem significant before wearing the aligners, taking them out every time you eat or drink and remembering to re-place them immediately after can be a bit of an adjustment for most patients. Setting a reminder on your phone every time you take them out is an excellent trick to help you get in the habit of re-placing them after eating and drinking.
Sticking To Your Treatment Schedule
Each time you receive a new set of aligners, your teeth are going to be sore for a few days while the new aligners do their duty to move and shift your teeth. It may be tempting to skip the potential soreness by avoiding your new aligners, but this will only prolong your treatment plan.
Giving Your Oral Hygiene Routine a Refresh
The best way to complete Invisalign treatments with a healthy and cavity-free smile is to take your brushing and flossing very seriously during treatment. Not brushing your teeth before replacing the aligners after eating will only trap any cavity-causing bacteria that was left behind on the surfaces of your teeth.
Always Removing Your Aligners When Eating Or Drinking
Remembering to remove aligners each time before eating or drinking anything other than water will prevent the staining of the aligners. One of the main perks behind Invisalign is to be able to straighten your teeth in a less obvious way, and dingy, stained aligners are anything but undetectable.
Finding The Right Provider To Straighten Your Smile
Are you an ideal Invisalign candidate? You can learn a lot about treatment requirements online; however, you won’t know for sure whether it’s the best treatment option for you until you meet with a knowledgeable and experienced Invisalign provider.
If you’re in the Macomb area, Hoffman Dental Care is here to help you in determining if Invisalign is the right treatment option for you. Contact us today to schedule a consultation exam.